GIFs are fun ways to send animated videos without actually sending a video. This can be useful because ultimately GIF files are still considered image files, which means you can send a photo which might take less data compared to an actual video, especially if you’re shooting at resolutions or higher frame rates.
It could also be a fun way to send memes to friends, as it would download much faster and be less hassle than downloading a video and then playing it. So, the question is how to make a GIF from a video on your Android phone? Turns out it’s really easy, and all you need is one app – GIPHY.
Convert Video to GIF on Android
- Download the GIPHY app if you haven’t already
- Create a GIPHY account or log in if you already have one
- Tap the top right corner of the app where it says “Create”
- Tap the bottom left corner of the app to select the video you want to convert
- You will now be taken to the editing screen, so make your edits, add filters, etc., and when you’re done, tap the arrow button in the lower right corner
- You will now have the option to upload the GIF to GIPHY or if you just want to create something for yourself, tap “Save GIF” which will then save the file to your phone, and you’re done!
The newly created GIF file will be located in your photo gallery, so from there you can send/share it via email, messaging app, etc. as you would with a normal file.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to convert videos, you can also use the above method if you want to put together various image files and convert them to GIF.
That being said, this is only one method available. There are web converters if you’d rather not use GIPHY, but since GIPHY is also a repository of GIFs that you can download and use, this could be useful for those who want a versatile application.