There are those who mute boring people on Facebook and those who tune out boring people
Facebook is a popular social media platform that connects you with your friends and family that you don’t interact with on a daily basis through messages, WhatsApp chats or calls. However, some Facebook friends may write annoying posts that appear on your timeline, and deleting them isn’t always an option. Instead, you can mute these people so their posts don’t appear in your Facebook feed. So, let’s see how to deactivate someone on Facebook.
What Happens When You Mute Someone on Facebook
When you mute a Facebook user or page, you won’t see their posts in your News Feed. You also won’t get any notifications for their posts, which makes it a great option to reduce Facebook notifications on your Android or iPhone.
Facebook gives you two ways to mute people. The first option is to snooze someone for 30 days. On the other hand, if your Facebook friend constantly annoys you, you can disable it permanently by unfollowing. Both of these changes can be undone and the person on the other end won’t be able to tell if you personally banned them.
In addition to muting someone and deleting their posts from your Facebook feed, you can pause conversations on Facebook Messenger to stop receiving message notifications. Finally, you can stop their stories posting so that you don’t see their stories in your feed.
How to Mute a Facebook User or Page
You can mute someone on Facebook using their mobile app or the Facebook website. Whether you’re using an Android smartphone, have an iPhone, or access Facebook using its web app, follow the steps below to easily mute people.
- Open the Facebook app on your phone or visit its website and log into your Facebook account.
- Scroll through your Facebook News Feed and locate the post of the person you want to mute.
- Click it three dot menu in the message and choose the Repeat X for 30 days possibility to deactivate them for 30 days.
- To permanently deactivate someone on Facebook, choose the No longer follow option.
- To unfollow someone, visit their Facebook profile page.
- Open your Facebook friends list or use the search bar at the top to search for the people you want to mute.
- On their profile, tap the Friends button and choose the No longer follow possibility to deactivate them.
How to Reactivate Someone on Facebook
When you put someone on hold on Facebook, you’ll automatically start seeing their posts in your feed after 30 days. You can also manually reactivate someone before 30 days if you wish. When you unfollow someone, you need to follow them to see their posts.
Inverting someone’s status is slightly different on mobile and web apps. So we have shown you the step by step tutorials for these platforms separately.
How to Unmute Someone Using Facebook Website
To unmute someone using the Facebook web app, open the Facebook website using Google Chrome or another web browser and sign in to your account.
- Click on your profile picture in the upper right corner and choose the Settings and privacy option.
- Click on Food to open your Facebook feed settings.
- Choose the Roupillon option to see the list of people you have put on hold.
- Click on the blue doze icon next to the profile you want to reactivate.
- If you unfollowed someone, re-enable them using the icon Reconnect setting. Go to Settings and privacy > Food and choose the Reconnect option.
- You’ll see the list of people and pages you’ve unfollowed. To turn them back on, click the plus (+) next to their name.
How to Reactivate Someone on Facebook Using Their Mobile App
- Open the Facebook app on your Android smartphone and tap the menu button in the top right corner.
- Go to Settings and open it News option.
- If you put someone on hold, open the Roupillon settings and use the End of rehearsal button to reactivate them.
- To unmute people you’ve unsubscribed, open the Reconnect settings and tap their names to follow them.
How to Disable Facebook Stories
If you don’t want to see someone’s stories in your Facebook stories feed, follow the steps below to mute their stories.
- Open the Facebook app and long press on the story you want to mute.
- Choose the ignoring someone’s story option.
- Set the period and press Mute to hush up their stories.
Mute people to remove them from your Facebook feed
It’s easy to deactivate or reactivate someone on Facebook once you know the steps. You can also mute their stories when you want to remove all of their posts from your feed homepage. If you liked this guide, check out our guide to quitting group chats on every messaging app and reducing your phone’s notification overload.